Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ancestor week #1 - Sarah Elizabeth Beveridge

My maternal grandmother Sarah Elizabeth Beveridge was born February 26, 1913 to John Nelson and Sarah Elizabeth Caldwell Beveridge in Latrobe, PA.  She was the sixth of nine children.  On May 11, 1935 she married Walter Edward Clark, together they adopted two children before he died in 1968.  She remarried February 22, 1977 to Damond Reitz Stauffer, who died in 1980. 

Before she died, May 19, 1987, my grandmother touched many people in and around Clarion, Pennsylvania.  Not only did she help raise her younger siblings after their mother died in 1939, but she also helped raise her younger sister Christine's children when Christine died in 1966, as well as adopting two young children when she was 52 years old. 

I was only 7 years old when she died, but I believe that she shaped much of who I am today.  I have memories of doing puzzles with her, and watching her favorite show Highway to Heaven.  She loved Michael Landon.

She is a mother of two, grandmother of three, and great-grandmother of three (so far), and I believe that her influence is still felt now, even coming onto the 27th anniversary of her death.

I miss you Gram.

This is Sarah and her first husband Walter on their wedding day.
 
If anyone who reads this knew my grandmother and wants to share a story with me, I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog! Hope you get many good contact from it. Love the story of your grandma - she looks SO young in her wedding picture.

    ReplyDelete